The Meaning Behind Different Roses
Browse the latest bouquets in our collection below
We’ve all heard of the classic children’s rhyming poem beginning with, “Roses are red, violets are blue”, but there are a lot more colours to the roses than you can imagine! In fact, there are at least 15 rose colours we can identify, each with their own significant meaning.
In a bid to find the best roses for every occasion, our florists at Gift Flowers Singapore have come up with a guide on what each rose colour symbolizes.
Meanings behind different coloured roses
- Romantic red roses are a universal symbol of love. The most popular Valentine’s Day gift, these roses convey a message of deep and heartfelt emotions. Even a single rose can speak volumes. These are the perfect roses for your significant other or long-term partner. Dark red or burgundy roses denote deep devotion.
- Vibrant orange roses represent a wide variety of things, including passion, energy, desire, fascination and enthusiasm. They are a great gift to give if you wish to bridge the gap between your friendship with someone and pursue a romantic relationship with them instead.
- Bright and cheery yellow roses symbolise friendship and happiness. It’s great for celebrating a purely platonic friendship with your besties or gifting your friend at his or her birthday. Yellow roses show how much you value their friendship.
- Green roses can bloom naturally, they usually just have sepals. You may also find dyed green roses in the market. Either way, they are a symbol of good news and a fresh start. Fantastic for congratulating someone who is taking the next step in life, be it their graduation or getting a new job.
- Blue roses don’t exist in nature, but dyed blue roses still carry meanings of mystery, rarity, the impossible and uniqueness.
- Like blue roses, black ones don’t exist in nature either, but dark purple roses are very close to black. They symbolise mysticism and magic.
- Intense and passionate, purple roses are a wonderful choice to give to a crush or secret admirer. It depicts infatuation and is usually used to express your love for the first time. These roses of royalty can also help pave the way for a closer relationship.
- Lavender roses are ideal for expressing love at first sight and your enchantment for someone special. Similar to its deeper purple counterparts, they hold an air of majesty and splendor, both of which aim to please the recipient.
- Pink roses come in different shades, making them a versatile flower to gift. Deep pink roses signify your happiness, gratitude and appreciation towards a good friend. Medium pink roses are fabulous in that they are appropriate for different situations, such as showing gratitude, expressing your love, comforting someone who is grieving, or saying congratulations. Light pink roses symbolise innocence, gentleness and appreciation. Wonderful for Mother’s Day or your sister’s birthday.
- Salmon or peach roses are the epitome of desire and excitement. For our free-spirited friends and loved ones who seek adventure in life, these are the perfect floral gifts for them.
- Pure, innocent and sweet, white roses are the most popular bridal flowers. A symbol of new beginnings, they are the go-to flowers for weddings as well as the start of a new blooming relationship.
- Gifting cream roses indicate that you are thinking of someone. They convey thoughtfulness and charm and are great for turning frowns upside down.
Our favourite rose gifts
- PURPLE ROSES IN BLUE ROUND FLOWER BOX (Price: S$120.00): The number of roses you give is important. For example, 18 stems of these marvellously mesmerizing purple blooms shows the recipient how precious and attractive they are in your eyes. Present them in our signature round gift box and pair them with a sweet message to really make that special someone smile.
- ROMANTIC NIGHT (S$160.00): Organising an evening of romance and passion with your other half could not be easier with this gorgeous mix of radiant red roses and seasonal flowers. Wrapped aesthetically in seasonal foliage, this rose arrangement is elegantly placed in Gift Flowers Singapore’s round gift box, ready for gifting and setting a romantic mood.
RED ROSES WITH VASE (S$110.00): This stunning floral arrangement of a dozen red roses perfectly symbolise infinite love. It is ideal for showing your beloved partner your appreciation, especially on Valentine’s Day, your anniversary or on his / her special birthday. Beautifully placed in a clear glass vase, it can be proudly displayed anywhere, both at home or in the office.